Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Victoria Arellano

[link]

Look, America held trans woman Victoria Arellano prisoner because she wasn't a citizen. They didn't give her medication she needed and she died. I'm pissed that I'm not at all surprised.

Interesting choice of a photograph, by the way. I honestly don't know how I feel about it. On the one hand... she's really pretty, it's well done, and she's not from my culture, so I'm reluctant to really pick it apart in terms of what glamour shots are to me vs. comebody else. On the other, though, it's very much a soft focus headshot. I don't want to attribute much to it, I just want to acknowledge that I feel weird about that choice of photograph, you know? What it says about how transwomen are perceived by the folks who pick the photographs in newspapers. Maybe it was chosen to reinforce that it was fucked up she was kept in a men's facility? I'm gonna go with that.

'Sbetter than using a photogaraph of an enemy's dad, I guess.

No comments: